Sunday, June 6, 2010

Ol Donyo Sabuk N.P.

Jambo everyone!

Well, it's way past time for an update, so here's the next edition. I took another trip with the Nature Kenya organization to one of the newest NP's - Ol Donyo Sabuk N.P., an isolated mountain, which was only about a 2 hr. drive (26 km - 13 mi). Ol Donyo Sabuk is Big Mt. in Maasai and the local Kikuyu call this Kilima Mbongo (Buffalo Mt.) It's called that because there are Water Buffalo on the Mt. Getting there we went through the town of Thika, which is one of the big agricultural centers. We drove by hectares and hectares of pineapple fields on the way in. Anyway, we got to the park to go to the top (2,146m=7,016ft) to see the 360 degree view and see the birds and animals. I thought we were going to drive up to the top, but NO, we were going to walk it! It was 10.6 km one way from the gate. I got about 8 km up before the Charley Horses in both calfs told me my legs were revolting! I kept going though and made to the top. Some views up top were actually blocked by trees and communications towers, so you really couldn't get a true 360 view. On a clear day (few and far between) you can not only see Mt. Kenya, but Mt. Kilimanjaro across the border in Tanzania. This wasn't a clear day! I then realised that it was another 10.6 down. I was walking around like a 100 year old man for the next 4 days, and got no sympathy from my co-workers on my self inflicted malady. I saw a lot of great birds, but no buffalo up close. Our group had to hire an armed N.P. guide to go with us to protect us from any encounters with baffalo, as they are actually very dangerous. Here's a few pictures.


Armed guide & my driver, David


Mt. Kenya in the clouds


Look closely, there's a Chameleon in there!


Variable Sunbird, Male


Speckled Mousebird


Malachite Kingfisher

No comments:

Post a Comment