Thursday, May 6, 2010

Now in Africa

Holy Moley! Getting here took forever! 28 hours from door to door. Left home at 1:00 pm Tue. 5/4 and got to my new apartment in Nairobi at about midnight Wed. 5/6 (Kenya is 7 hrs ahead during our EDT (normally 8 hrs, but they do not change to Daylight savings). A bit of a problem occurred, as my global cell phone issued to me to keep in touch, decided to part with my company, as it never got off the plane in Nairobi with me, but it evidently got off with someone else. One minute I had it, the next not - and I hadn't even got off the plane yet! After a marathon "discussion" with Nairobi Airport Security - the chances of getting it back are none to impossible.

Tried to connect to the internet and couldn't, tried to call Maggie, but couldn't - no Intl. calls from the Apt.

I finally got to bed at 2 am and "slept" until 6:30 to get up and go to work. Tough day without any good sleep for 2 days, but I'll adjust.

This place is awesome! Stay tuned as I now have internet, and can give you all updates... Oh crap, it's 12:30 am and I gotta get some sleep.

Okay... up at 6:30 and off to work again. Thank GOD the company provided a driver for me (even on the weekends!) as there are 3 million people living in Nairobi and none knows how to drive a lick (except my driver David...he's great). The roads are all under construction and whoever has the guts to stick their nose out and step on the gas wins! All the intersections are 'roundabouts' (also called 'circulars' and only the major ones have stoplights, and those are basically ignored! To top it all off... they drive on the left side of the road! Can you even imagine sitting in the drivers seat on the right side of the car, driving on the left side of the road, coming up to a circular with 3 million cars trying to take dead aim at you! No...I don't think you can until you experience it yourself.

The company also provided a furnished apartment with 2 bedrooms, so there's room for any who cares to stop by! I'll update with pictures, as I got to go to sleep ,and get up at 5:00 am to go to visit the Nairobi National Park just 4 miles from downtown.

So, again stay tuned as pictures are forthcoming.

2 comments:

  1. Again, so jealous! I told you there were no stop signs in Kenya. Trust me, it gets worse when you go out to the Mara -- there, you're lucky if there is a "road".

    Have fun. Give Kenya air kisses for me and Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Randy! This is so exciting. Jamie told me about your African adventure. Damn, man! No one will ever accuse you of being a shrinking violet, eh?
    Stay safe! Enjoy!
    XX~Terri

    ReplyDelete